Let's talk about cardboard Christmas houses and accessories

Visit our Contributors' Pages:
Visit Family Christmas Online Visit Howard Lamey's own web page, LittleGlitterHouses.com Click to Sign Up for Maria Cudequest's Collectibles Blog
Visit Family Christmas Online Click to visit Papa Ted's Place - the ultimate cardboard Christmas house resource. Click to return to the Old Christmas Tree Lights Table of Contents Page

Note: To ask a question, sign up for our "Christmas Times" newsletter, or learn how
to apply for membership to this forum, please visit our Contact page.

Note: All content on this forum is Copyright (c) 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018 by Paul D. Race
and by the posters who have contributed specific content. All material is for your personal use only. No content
or plans may be republished or sold, nor may any plans be used to make products to sell without prior written
permission from Paul D. Race and the individual who contributed the content or plan in question.
For permissions or questions about this policy, please contact us using our Contact page.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:53 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 1:51 pm 

I decided to make Easter houses as a gift for the people who seem to enjoy my little houses the most. So here is a photo of the second set of Easter houses. I have gotten better at making the tree stump look more wood-like. I also decided to make the leaves on the roof a little more elaborate. I moved 2 windows to the front of the house which works better I think. I cut out a piece of lattice die from cardstock to make the panes on the window.

Still much more decorating to go. Lucy

Attachments:
More easter houses.jpg
More easter houses.jpg [ 52.52 KiB | Viewed 25790 times ]
PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 4:13 pm 

I like the way the roots look like they are growing out of the base.

Be really neat to see when fully decorated.

Don't forget the Easter Bunny. :-)

Steve

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 8:55 pm 

lucy...

talk about a versatile little house!...it could be for any season...how about a few basic dimensions?...height and diameter of body?...height and diameter of finished roof cone?...the root and bark texture is really neat...gotta love that leaf punch, too!...i echo what steve said...we want to see finished pictures!...

my very best regards...howard...

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 10:53 pm 

Thank you, Howard. I will gladly give the dimensions to these houses. Briefly, the base is 3" high and 3" in diameter. The cone is 5" high with a large enough diameter to hang over the top of the base. The leafy rooftop in the foreground is 5" in diameter.

More details:
The base is what I call an industrial strength toilet paper roll that housekeeping saves for me when the roll runs out at work. It's a very sturdy cardboard cylinder that is 3 inches tall x 3 inches in diameter. You could make the same size with cardboard easy enough. The paper mache makes it really strong.

I cut the cylinder open so I can flatten it a little bit to punch out the windows and doors with the dies from Pete. I seal the cut with the paper mache just like we used to make at school - newspaper, flour, water and a little white glue. Then I cover the entire cylinder and cardboard base with paper mache to look like bark and roots.

After the paper mache bark is dry I cut a strip of pretty flexible cardboard (about 1/2" wide) long enough to go around the top easily. I don't have a dimension for this because the diameter varies with how much paper mache "bark" is applied. I make it so the tops can come off so if you want you can put an LED light inside (or a bunny or a treat) - but you really have give yourself some extra length of the cardboard so it will come off easily. After I tape and glue that cardboard strip into a circle, I cut a cardboard circle to apply to the top of this strip. I glue it well and reinforce it with some strips of paper.

To make the cone, I use my compass to make a large circle from an 8.5 x 11 piece of cardstock. Then I roll it up to fit over the base and tape and glue. I've been adding a little pipe cleaner stem to the top to make it easier to remove the top. I cut a small hole at the top, make a loop with the pipe cleaner and tie a knot below the loop so it won't slip through the hole. Then I use a liberal amount of glue to attach it firmly. Next glue the cone to the lid. Paper mache around the edge of the lid and cone attaches them together even better. (see picture below) I do apply a layer of paper mache to the cone to make it strong as well. Then paint and glue on leaves, then add other decorations.

These houses aren't very precise because of the paper mache. I think they are fairly sturdy for kids though.

You're right there are all sorts of variations for this house - a Leprechaun house, Hansel and Gretel house, an Autumn house would look great with fall colored leaves, snow would work as well.

Attachments:
File comment: It's not really painted very well because it's not supposed to be visible.
Leaf top underside.jpg
Leaf top underside.jpg [ 68.4 KiB | Viewed 25739 times ]
PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 9:38 am 

Lucy...

thanks for the details and dimensions...the houses are actually much larger than i thought...by the way...i like the "non-precise" construction...

oh, one more thing...did i miss or overlook your post about the source of the leaf punch?...

howard...

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 1:39 pm 

Howard,
Funny you should ask about the leaf punch. I actually have a duplicate one (Tim Holtz oak leaf punch) should you want one. I can send it to you. Just let me know.

The 2 best leaf punches are Tim Holtz leaf punches by sizzix (http://www.scrapbook.com/store/sz-66016 ... leaf+punch) and the Martha Stewart leaf punches by EK success. The Martha Stewart one is discontinued but can still be found online easily.

There is a tiny Fiskars Oak leaf punch that is pretty good too, but it comes as a set with 2 other punches that I don't really care for. It's about $14

About the size, it's very easy to modify the size. I just wanted to use up the sturdy industrial toilet paper rolls that they have so kindly been saving for me.

Lucy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 6:35 pm 

lucy...

thanks for the very generous offer of the leaf punch...but "old howard" would much prefer it be offer to a "much younger craft person"...someone who will get many years of use out of it than i will... :D

:idea: you could even do a drawing of forum member names...that would work...

my very best regards...howard...

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 1:25 pm 

The leaf tops are done. 3 of them have oak leaves on top. I made one out of a variety of maple leaf dies and punches, but I don't like it as much. I like the rounded tips of the oak leaf dies and punches. Also I experimented with a bunch of shades of greens - too many. The last oak leaf top does not have that much variation and looks better in my opinion.

Today working on fences and painting the bases, making grass and more colored easter eggs. I have to find clip art bunnies that I want to use. I may try a pom pom bunny or chick if I can find my smallest pom pom maker and good yarn to use with it.

Having fun with the little houses,
Lucy

P.S. I have one extra Tim Holtz oak leaf punch (http://www.scrapbook.com/store/sz-660167.html). I'm going to do as Howard suggested - leave your name and if more than one person wants it I will do a drawing and select a winner for the punch. Then I will mail it to you. Deadline Feb 29th for this drawing.

Attachments:
Leaf tops for easter houses.jpg
Leaf tops for easter houses.jpg [ 71.39 KiB | Viewed 25708 times ]
Maple leaf top house.jpg
Maple leaf top house.jpg [ 48.62 KiB | Viewed 25708 times ]
Oak leaf top house.jpg
Oak leaf top house.jpg [ 63.87 KiB | Viewed 25708 times ]
PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 2:02 pm 

Your houses are coming along nicely. I like the oak leaf roof the best also. Maybe part of it is the uniformity. It will be fun to see them finished and embellished.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 2:20 pm 

Almost ready to decorate the little Easter houses. I die cut about 50 picket fence pieces, glued them together, painted with primer. They only need a layer of white pearlescent paint before they get applied around the base. The grass is die cut and will be applied randomly around the tree roots and around the fence. I am making some bunny "portraits" again to go inside the house - just a fun little detail. I may also add some clip art rugs to the floor inside as well. The doors have been painted and will be soon applied. I'm figuring out which bunnies I want on the outside. I'll glue the clip art bunnies to cardboard, cut them out and play around with the arrangements on the house and glue grass to the bottom of the bunnies. Then the polymer clay eggs will be applied. That is really the funnest part - it really makes the easter look.

Lucy

Attachments:
IMG_1743.jpg
IMG_1743.jpg [ 70.5 KiB | Viewed 25694 times ]