Let's talk about cardboard Christmas houses and accessories

Visit our Contributors' Pages:
Visit Family Christmas Online Visit Howard Lamey's own web page, LittleGlitterHouses.com Click to Sign Up for Maria Cudequest's Collectibles Blog
Visit Family Christmas Online Click to visit Papa Ted's Place - the ultimate cardboard Christmas house resource. Click to return to the Old Christmas Tree Lights Table of Contents Page

Note: To ask a question, sign up for our "Christmas Times" newsletter, or learn how
to apply for membership to this forum, please visit our Contact page.

Note: All content on this forum is Copyright (c) 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018 by Paul D. Race
and by the posters who have contributed specific content. All material is for your personal use only. No content
or plans may be republished or sold, nor may any plans be used to make products to sell without prior written
permission from Paul D. Race and the individual who contributed the content or plan in question.
For permissions or questions about this policy, please contact us using our Contact page.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:23 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2015 6:26 pm 

I made some houses early on that I thought were a little dull so I figured I would put them on a "book" as a base. I made a few books - stacks of cardboard inside covered with paper that I stained with tea and scored to look like pages. Then I glued 2 larger pieces of cardboard covered with card stock and made a rounded spine. I embossed the cover using a Spellbinder's embossing pattern and stamped the title with a regular "Happy Halloween" stamp. Still debating on whether to add the title to the area in front of the little house. This is the first one that I have completely finished.

This house pattern is called triple gable gothic (though there are 4 gables with the portico). When I made this house, I was still using glitter paper for to make the roof. I was afraid to use glitter because I thought it would get all over my house. Silly me.

Finally bought some blue poster board as my photo background for the houses. I think it makes the houses show up better. Thank you Howard for all the ideas that you share with us.

Attachments:
3 gable gothic with book base - sm.jpg
3 gable gothic with book base - sm.jpg [ 56.81 KiB | Viewed 13894 times ]
PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2015 7:43 pm 

OH, BOY!...outstanding work...what's next?...(just had to ask)... 8-)

Howard..

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2015 8:20 pm 

Howard,

I am just finishing my first house with a porch. I used some of your techniques from your recent Feb 2002 and Nov 2003 houses of the month houses. It's not quite ready yet. I am going to make some skeleton flatties from scrapbook paper and maybe a witch with a cauldron flattie from a halloween paper punch.

Thank you for your kind words and encouragement.
Lucy

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2015 9:53 pm 
Site Admin

Lucy, the faux-book-as-base look is great!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 9:16 am 

Everything looks great I just love how your book came out. Glitter paper I never would have thought of that it, looks nice.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 8:22 am 

Looks awesome. Love the Glitter paper roof, What are the little pumpkins? Candy?
Debbie W

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 9:43 am 
Site Admin

Totally off-topic idea spawned by the unusual texture of the walls in this building.

Would it be feasible to make a "wood siding" look by taking open-faced corrugated cardboard and ironing the corrugations flat in one direction? Seems like it would be a great texture for a haunted house's walls.

Sorry, we now return you to our regularly scheduled celebration of Lucy's accomplishments. :-)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 3:27 pm 

Paul,
I was very surprised that anyone noticed the texture of the walls. I scored that card stock to simulate wood walls. I think your idea of wood siding using flattened exposed corrugated cardboard is very intriguing. Once again you've set me on another experimental journey.

I only have one more Halloween house to post because that's the last one to be finished before my deadline of October 1st. I will take all the houses to work on that day to sell them for our fundraiser. I will take a photo of the entire Halloween village display before I do that. I'm painting a chalkboard background which I hope will look good.

Then I get to do Christmas houses which I am very excited about.

Thank you for your kind comments. I am somewhat paranoid about posting too often. I am just having so much fun making the little houses that I wanted to share them. Lucy

P.S. Deb asked about the pumpkins. I made them out of polymer clay. It's really easy - just warm up some orange clay (I use sculpey) and roll into a ball. Put it in the refrigerator for about 30 minutes to get firm again, then get a toothpick or even a piece of cardboard and press creases in the pumpkin, put a small indentation in the top of the pumpkin and put a small green wire or green clay as the stem. Bake according the instructions and boom! you have a little pumpkin the perfect size for your little house.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 9:58 pm 
Site Admin

Lucy, your projects are delightful and folks appreciate them greatly. I don't think you COULD post too often.

Thanks for the tip about the sculpey pumpkins, too!