Let's talk about cardboard Christmas houses and accessories

Visit our Contributors' Pages:
Visit Family Christmas Online Visit Howard Lamey's own web page, LittleGlitterHouses.com Click to Sign Up for Maria Cudequest's Collectibles Blog
Visit Family Christmas Online Click to visit Papa Ted's Place - the ultimate cardboard Christmas house resource. Click to return to the Old Christmas Tree Lights Table of Contents Page

Note: To ask a question, sign up for our "Christmas Times" newsletter, or learn how
to apply for membership to this forum, please visit our Contact page.

Note: All content on this forum is Copyright (c) 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018 by Paul D. Race
and by the posters who have contributed specific content. All material is for your personal use only. No content
or plans may be republished or sold, nor may any plans be used to make products to sell without prior written
permission from Paul D. Race and the individual who contributed the content or plan in question.
For permissions or questions about this policy, please contact us using our Contact page.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:23 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 11:51 am 

Here is my latest Halloween house in progress. It is going on a circular base that I will make to look like a tree roots. The hat will come off the base so an LED tea light can fit on a little platform to light up the house.

Thank you for your kind comments on my last houses. I've got 18 houses done for the Head Start fundraiser so far. I will gradually post some of the ones I think are more interesting here should anyone like to see them. I drafted all the patterns, but I did copy ideas from what I've seen on my internet searches.

I've done google searches for witch hat houses and haven't really seen any thing that looks like this house. There are some fairy houses that use the same basic concept, but not executed like this. So I think it is pretty unique and pretty easy to build as well.

My plan is to add roof pieces over the dormers that extend outward over the window a little bit. The hat will be painted black, but I think the dormer front pieces will be orange.

Attachments:
black hat inn- gesso only v.3.jpg
black hat inn- gesso only v.3.jpg [ 41.66 KiB | Viewed 16742 times ]
PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 5:08 pm 

wow...this one is going to be really something...unusual windows...tree root base feature...i know i'll be checking the forum for progress photos!...

if you search google images for "witches flight school" you'll find a few examples of commercial ceramic houses made a few years back that are similar in shape but much smaller...they had a motor in the base which turned witches on brooms at the end of black wires...

your version, as an inn, will surpassed anything they have done!...

my very best regards...howard...

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 6:32 pm 

Witches Flight School - I think that is really funny. I wouldn't have thought to google that. I love that.

I did triangular windows because I didn't have to worry about the difference in the curve from the bottom of the window to the top. They were actually pretty easy to make. I've got the gable extending over the windows now that covers up the side seams. I think it looks much better.

Thank you, Howard, for the info on Witches Flight School, I may have to do another witches hat house based on that idea.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 9:01 pm 

lucy...

if you wouldn't object...i can post a drawing of how to make a "flying witches" feature for the top of this project...or if you choose to make another...you can use it there...just let me know...i think you'll like it...

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 10:00 pm 

Howard,

I would be so happy to see that. One reason I wanted to be on this forum is to get input from the experts - all of you here. But I really don't want to be a bother to anyone. I would welcome your ideas.

Thank you.
Lucy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 10:33 pm 
Site Admin

Lucy, this a great start on a very original piece. Thanks for keeping us in the loop as it progresses.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 7:04 am 

good morning...

hope my sketches make sense...it's a "balancing and pivoting" assembly...a wood disk, three floral wire arms, three witch cutouts and a candy apple stick...the drawings tell the story of the pieces and how it's assembled...

the "fun part"... :twisted: ...is getting the assembly to "balance and pivot"... :lol: ...but it can be done by bending the wires inward, outward, upward and/or downward to shift the center of gravity...when balanced, a gentle nudge with a finger will spin the witches for a short time...

Attachments:
pivot balance flying witches drawing a.jpeg
pivot balance flying witches drawing a.jpeg [ 194.15 KiB | Viewed 16715 times ]
pivot balance flying witches drawing b.jpeg
pivot balance flying witches drawing b.jpeg [ 165.12 KiB | Viewed 16715 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 12:24 pm 

Here is an actual witch's hat house that was here in Houston. It was demolished about 15 years ago to make way for a gym. It was a really neat house but had been vacant for a number of years...

Attachments:
witches_hat_house.jpg
witches_hat_house.jpg [ 45.72 KiB | Viewed 16708 times ]
PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 1:07 pm 

Lee,
That is a really cool house. Demolished to make way for a gym, that makes me sad. I couldn't copy it for a cardboard house because of too many rooflines. Howard could do it though.

Howard,
I love that idea. I don't think I can do it for this house partly because of the dormers which are pretty high up, but it's a great idea. I was thinking maybe a Halloween carousel. I'm going to experiment with it and make a prototype and see how it works. I've got some skewers for shish kabobs which might work. I can stand it up in some foam and work on the disk and wires and the balance. I've got a flying witch punch so I can make the witch easily. I also have some wooden disks which I used for another craft project. I've also got some aluminum flashing left over that is pretty easy to cut that might work for the center disk or even make it as a cone - kind of like those scandinavian candle holders that spin when the candle heats up.

Thank you so much. Collaborating with Howard - very fun. P.S. I love the drawing of your witch including the 3-D one.

Last edited by Lucy on Sat Jul 11, 2015 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 10:09 pm 

Howard,

I think I have figured out how to make it work with this house and it will be really cool. Too bad I have a 12 hour shift tomorrow (It's frustrating when work interferes with creativity). I will work on the prototype tomorrow night and Monday. I am very excited.

Still gluing and glittering in Upstate SC (where it is pretty hot and muggy, though not like Florida).

Thank you again for the idea. I can't wait to execute it.
Lucy