Let's talk about cardboard Christmas houses and accessories

Visit our Contributors' Pages:
Visit Family Christmas Online Visit Howard Lamey's own web page, LittleGlitterHouses.com Click to Sign Up for Maria Cudequest's Collectibles Blog
Visit Family Christmas Online Click to visit Papa Ted's Place - the ultimate cardboard Christmas house resource. Click to return to the Old Christmas Tree Lights Table of Contents Page

Note: To ask a question, sign up for our "Christmas Times" newsletter, or learn how
to apply for membership to this forum, please visit our Contact page.

Note: All content on this forum is Copyright (c) 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018 by Paul D. Race
and by the posters who have contributed specific content. All material is for your personal use only. No content
or plans may be republished or sold, nor may any plans be used to make products to sell without prior written
permission from Paul D. Race and the individual who contributed the content or plan in question.
For permissions or questions about this policy, please contact us using our Contact page.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:12 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 10:09 am 

good morning...

i'm starting a new project...guess that's no surprise... :shock:

Attention: Lucy...

you mentioned recently that your plans and drawings weren't perfect and clean like some of the ones i've posted...so i thought i'd show you that all my projects start with very rough drafts...not clean, neat and perfect...just some sketches, scribbles and notes...plus a few basic dimensions...etc...

i'll make detailed patterns as i actually build and post them later...

my very best regards...howard...

Attachments:
nov-2003-hom-lgh-rough-draft.jpg
nov-2003-hom-lgh-rough-draft.jpg [ 149.86 KiB | Viewed 22782 times ]

Last edited by Howard on Wed Sep 09, 2015 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 11:05 am 

Thanks for sharing your process with us. Do you own this vintage house?
How do you get the original dimensions? When or what decides when you
need an extra brace for the roof?
Debbie W

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 11:33 am 

I really like seeing the evolution of an idea where you see some of the decision-making in the design. I love the drawing where it looks like there is a person on the roof. The little figurines used the on the Japanese houses are adorable.

Debbie's questions are good too. I've just been making up dimensions as I go along, but I'm not usually copying an old house. I make a house out of a copy of my paper pattern and see what it looks like. Sometimes they get rejected and redone. I'll add some photos to show you in a minute.

Howard's been making these little houses for long enough to know what proportions look good and what the typical sizes are.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 11:56 am 

debquilts wrote:
Thanks for sharing your process with us. Do you own this vintage house?
How do you get the original dimensions? When or what decides when you
need an extra brace for the roof?
Debbie W

hello...i was just about to click "submit"...and looks like i had a power surge/brown out...my reply to you vanished...will try to send again later this afternoon...going to wait a while and see if it magically reappears...howard...

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 12:07 pm 

Here is a photo of my paper models of my most recent house. The smaller model was done first and I decided that it would be harder to decorate for Halloween, I needed a bigger house so I could add more Halloween elements (since Halloween stuff is all I am doing until the end of October). I also think that steeper angles on gables look better if you are going for a spooky look. This is just to give Debbie an idea of one way to determine the size.

Attachments:
paper models.jpg
paper models.jpg [ 34.47 KiB | Viewed 22768 times ]
PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 12:40 pm 

attn: debquilts...here's the reply i tried to post earlier...

Hello…hope this helps…if not…let me know…

No…I don’t own this vintage house…I have just a handful of originals…I knew I would never have the houses I wanted…that’s one of the main reasons I started building…

Braces…when and where?…no hard and fast rules…but…if the roof peaks and walls look flimsy…and there is no place to glue things together…add a brace…

Where did I get measurements?…I “guessed at most of them”…experience help…but here are a few tips…start with know dimensions…especially doors and windows…small doors measure a little less than 1/2” wide x 1” tall…windows on similar houses are about 1/4” wide x 1/2” tall…walls on many houses are about 2” tall…

You might want to try 1/ 4” grid graph paper when starting out to making your own houses…it makes measuring, drawing patterns and estimating proportions easier…

I know for a fact that there are makers who are very tech savvy and use computer drawing programs…others make paper patterns until they get the look they want…some even “make it up as they go along”…the important thing is to have fun…

My very best regards…Howard…

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 9:45 am 

Thank you Lucy and Howard for the info on the design process.
I am still a beginner, with only 4 houses completed. I do want to design some of my own. I have the Cricut Explore and it does cut chipboard. I have mostly used cereal boxes since they offer the largest working space without a machine fold. I have used smaller boxes for other projects, like ornaments and fences. Snack craker boxes, soda pop boxes are a little thinner and cut beautifully.

I have also been working with Inkscape Software. I think Paul suggest that for me. This way I can design in Inkscape with the 1/4 inch grid like Howard suggested and then export it as a SVG for the Cricut to do the cutting. I had messed up the shape tool properties and was having a heck of a time getting my windows to show up. (Grrr. I hate new software learning curves!!) But through some searches on another forum I got that fixed. I have already re-drafted all the Pack O Fun houses and I am ready to do a test cut. I'll start with paper and see if my drafting is accurate, then move on to my cereal boxes.

I am hoping to be able to design a copy of my grandmother's original farm house and her church. I am was thinking I would like to put a music box in the church and give them as family gifts. Has anyone done that? Is the sound ok bouncing off the cardboard? Does anyone have any tips on mounting the music box to the inside of a house?

I have family to visit and some customer quilts this week and then I can play with my "little" houses.
I'll keep you posted on how the Cricut/Inkscape process goes.
Thanks again, Debbie W

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 3:34 pm 
Site Admin

Debbie, lots of photos please. And detailed reports on cutting cardboard with the Cricut, if that's your plan. But the main reason I jumped in to respond is to say that a cardboard building will make those little music boxes sound great. The more solid the building the better. And especially you'll have to make it so the thing can be wound up without the building being bent out of shape - maybe a solid wooden base or some such. All told, it's a great idea. Let me know if I can help with your designs or whatever.

Also, are you using the Cricut to cut out elaborate quilt patterns? I don't know if that's possible, but if you are, that would be fun to know.

- Paul

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 4:39 pm 

good afternoon...

making a little progress...patterns and pictures below...more pictures of assembly and a few other patterns including a "little girl" flattie for the front porch on saturday...

Attachments:
feb-2003-hom-lgh-1.jpeg
feb-2003-hom-lgh-1.jpeg [ 91.53 KiB | Viewed 22726 times ]
feb-2003-hom-lgh-2.jpeg
feb-2003-hom-lgh-2.jpeg [ 69.51 KiB | Viewed 22726 times ]
feb-2003-hom-lgh-major-parts.JPG
feb-2003-hom-lgh-major-parts.JPG [ 117.85 KiB | Viewed 22726 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 7:10 pm 

good evening...

bellow are patterns for additional parts plus photos of the pieces and how the house looks when major assembly is done...

note the lollypop stick corer post and the two small pieces of matchsticks to brace the porch railing...

i had to make a couple of each of the following to get the right fit...roof, porch ceiling and porch floor...

the porch floor is not glued into the house body yet...it will be part of the foundation and base assembly...more about that later...

Attachments:
hom-2003-nov-part-b.JPG
hom-2003-nov-part-b.JPG [ 105.46 KiB | Viewed 22709 times ]
feb-2003-hom-lgh-roof-railing-entry-roof-step-foundation.jpeg
feb-2003-hom-lgh-roof-railing-entry-roof-step-foundation.jpeg [ 81.7 KiB | Viewed 22709 times ]
hom-2003-nov-parts-a.JPG
hom-2003-nov-parts-a.JPG [ 127.31 KiB | Viewed 22709 times ]