Let's talk about cardboard Christmas houses and accessories

Visit our Contributors' Pages:
Visit Family Christmas Online Visit Howard Lamey's own web page, LittleGlitterHouses.com Click to Sign Up for Maria Cudequest's Collectibles Blog
Visit Family Christmas Online Click to visit Papa Ted's Place - the ultimate cardboard Christmas house resource. Click to return to the Old Christmas Tree Lights Table of Contents Page

Note: To ask a question, sign up for our "Christmas Times" newsletter, or learn how
to apply for membership to this forum, please visit our Contact page.

Note: All content on this forum is Copyright (c) 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018 by Paul D. Race
and by the posters who have contributed specific content. All material is for your personal use only. No content
or plans may be republished or sold, nor may any plans be used to make products to sell without prior written
permission from Paul D. Race and the individual who contributed the content or plan in question.
For permissions or questions about this policy, please contact us using our Contact page.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:43 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2022 8:04 am 

Greetings to all…

First of all, I know this is not a cardboard project…but sheep with carts appear in vintage Christmas putz displays…so there are precedents…I am also aware that the woodworking tools and techniques may not be familiar or available to all…but perhaps a family member or friend will cut out the body profile, legs and cart rim parts and cart base…

This project will be posted in several sections...I’m starting with this overview, an image of the completed project and some of the patterns…updates will follow…

BODY…3/4” thick soft pine…

LEGS and SPACERS
…1/4” thick yardstick…assembled with tacky white glue and a few tiny nails…

EARS
…1/4” thick wood…a Dremel ® tool was used to carve out the recesses in the ears…think of them as tiny wooden spoons…hold in place with a drop of super glue in the mounting holes…

ROUNDING OVER CORNERS
…wood rasp, craft knife and sandpaper…I’ll post a picture of the tools I use later…

FINISH
…a blotchy mix of white, antique white, khaki and brown craft paint…try to somewhat match the batting colors…

COVERING…Unbleached cotton batting…it took a lot of measuring, cutting, stretching and gluing the pieces of flat, one dimension material to cover a three dimensional form…see the note on the covering pattern sheets…a fleece fabric with more stretch would be far easier…I’m considering a piece of sweatshirt turned inside out or fleece fabric as a covering material for the next sheep I make…it will probably be about 25% larger in size which will make covering easier…I feel some creative sole knows a way to cut and sew a one piece covering…but it’s beyond me…

DETAILS…Ribbon and bell around neck…painting eyes, mouth, nostrils and hooves…

WHEELS…1/4” thick plywood rims cut with power drill driven hole saw…

HUBS…3/8” diameter dowels…

SPOKES…toothpick diameter dowels…I’ll post photos of the wheel building jig later…

CART FLOOR…same plywood as rims…about the size of a business card…edged with crape myrtle twigs attached with super glue…the floor was stained and painted to mimic the colors of the twigs…

AXLE…3/8” diameter crape myrtle branch…rusty nails used to hold on wheels…

POSTS, WOVEN WATTLE SIDES and HARNESS ARMS
…crape myrtle twigs…it’s easier to weave the wattle if the twigs are still green and not dried out…posts are super glued in holes in cart floor…super glue applied to the wattle weave joints after assembly…overall length of cart is about 7”…

Have fun…stay tuned…

Howard…

Attachments:
IMG_9703.jpg
IMG_9703.jpg [ 118.18 KiB | Viewed 7171 times ]
sheep and cart project 8 2022 sheet 1 of 2.pdf [26.66 KiB]
Downloaded 297 times
sheep and cart project 8 2022 sheet 2 of 2.pdf [29.97 KiB]
Downloaded 292 times

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2022 10:49 am 

Howard this is a wonderful piece, beautifully made. Thanks so much for sharing!!

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2022 10:48 am 

UPDATE...05/03/2022...

Pictured below...

tools used to cut out, carve and shape wood body...scroll saw, rasps, bench knife and hand sander...tool not shown is a Dremel(R) rotary tool and round tip cutting burr...i'll add a picture of them to the next update...

carved and shaped body...holes for ears not drilled in this photo...

closeup of ears...think of them as small wooden spoons...

more later...stay tuned...

Howard...

Attachments:
IMG_9849.jpg
IMG_9849.jpg [ 111.74 KiB | Viewed 7116 times ]
IMG_9665.jpg
IMG_9665.jpg [ 170.19 KiB | Viewed 7116 times ]
image0.jpg
image0.jpg [ 98.13 KiB | Viewed 7116 times ]

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2022 7:03 pm 

Howard

I am loving this project.. adorable design and your resourcefulness is beyond compare.
Was that a yard stick you cut up? Nothing is safe, I see! If I can get Spouse to do
the cutting work, I will make this soon.

Thanks as always for your inspirations and instructions.

Best,

Pat

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2022 7:23 pm 

OKPat…
Yes…that’s a yardstick…this one was from Lowe’s…but Home Depot and Ace Hardware probably have a similar item…they are about 1/4” thick and a little over an inch wide…I think I paid about a dollar for mine…
Howard…

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2022 9:29 am 

UPDATE...05/04/2022...

Dremel (R) tool plus sanding drums and round head cutting burs used on sheep...the burs were used for shaping the ears...

Hole saw and power drill used to cut out wheel rims...pix of wheel construction will be posted later...

stay tuned...

Howard...

Attachments:
IMG_9859.jpg
IMG_9859.jpg [ 161.77 KiB | Viewed 7055 times ]
IMG_9861.jpg
IMG_9861.jpg [ 183.99 KiB | Viewed 7055 times ]

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 2:00 pm 

UPDATE...05/10/2022...

Here are pictures of the wheel parts, wheel jig and a wheel being assembled in the jig...Gorilla(R) super glue used for assembly...trim spokes flush with outside of rim when glue has dried...trim hub to length length and drill small hole for nail axle...

In addition to the five holes drilled through the edge of the rim, five shallow holes, about 1/8" or less, are also drilled in the 3/8" diameter hub...

Stay tuned for more...

Howard...

Attachments:
IMG_9692.jpg
IMG_9692.jpg [ 214.17 KiB | Viewed 6823 times ]
IMG_9693.jpg
IMG_9693.jpg [ 86.9 KiB | Viewed 6823 times ]
IMG_9695.jpg
IMG_9695.jpg [ 121.56 KiB | Viewed 6823 times ]

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 8:36 pm 

Wow!

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2022 3:55 am 

UPDATE...05/11/2022...

Here are the last closeup photos of the the primitive sheep and cart construction...so I guess you could say this project is finished...

It's been a pleasant change from cardboard for a while...but a few new cardboard projects are in the works...stay tuned...

Howard...

Attachments:
File comment: Raw wood wheel and spray painted wheel. Edges of wheel will be lightly sanded in a few places to "age" the look of the wheel and simulate wear.
IMG_9697.jpg
IMG_9697.jpg [ 81.16 KiB | Viewed 6808 times ]
File comment: Bottom view of cart.
IMG_9705.JPG
IMG_9705.JPG [ 97.43 KiB | Viewed 6808 times ]
File comment: Post and wattle weave sides. Edges of wheel lightly sanded in a few places to "age" the look of the wheel and simulate wear.
IMG_9706.jpg
IMG_9706.jpg [ 77.17 KiB | Viewed 6808 times ]

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2022 9:29 am 

UPDATE...5/17/2022...

Greetings to all...

Here is a larger version of the sheep on a vintage style pull toy base...the sheep is about 5" tall without the base...that's about 1" taller and longer than the sheep with cart pattern posted earlier...

This one is covered in a light antique white fleece I got at Joann's...the fleece has lots more stretch to it than the cotton batting used on the first sheep...I'm still looking for heavy wool work socks that might have even more stretch and more texture...

The wood base measures 3" x 5 1/2" x 3/8" thick...wood wheels are sections of 1 1/4" diameter dowel from Hobby Lobby...

I've also made a primitive look Santa on a pull toy base...I plan to post it later if no one objects the another "no cardboard" project...

My very best regards...

Howard...

Attachments:
IMG_9904.jpg
IMG_9904.jpg [ 179.29 KiB | Viewed 6634 times ]